Friday, December 14, 2007

Just Another Cardinal - Or Not?

On Wednesday I took an hour away from work to check out Longenbaugh Road again. Among many other birds, I spotted what I was sure was a Pyrrhuloxia. But when I checked on the Internet, I found out that this bird would be very unusual here. So I assumed I was mistaken and didn't report the sighting.

This morning I read a message on Texbirds from Jim Hinson (a great local birder), saying that he had seen a Pyrrhuloxia at exactly the same place where I saw my bird.

Naturally I did a detour to Longenbaugh Road on my way to work. And the Pyrrhuloxia was very obliging this time - not only did she appear, but she kept coming out into the open over and over again.

Pyrrhuloxia

The site also had several sparrow species, including Field Sparrow (US life bird #396 for me), White-crowned, Vesper, Song and Lincoln's.



Field Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow

Immature White-crowned Sparrow

Vesper Sparrow

The busiest and perhaps the prettiest bird was this Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.



Other birds included American Robin, Roby-crowned Kinglet and Orange-crowned Warbler.



American Robin

1 comment:

T Shaughnessy said...

Hey Jeff-

The Pyrrhuloxia was still there today, 12/16 at about 1500 hrs. I stood on the bridge and watched it for 15+ minutes. Thanks for posting it over on texbirds.

There was also a skunk just on the other side of the gate on the north side of L.Baugh/west of the bridge.