Saturday, September 25, 2010

Another New Birding Site

.
On Thursday morning I was lucky enough to have time to make a brief visit to Joseph S. and Lucie H. Cullinan Park in Ft. Bend County. This park is located in Sugarland, on SH6 just south of Voss Road and north of US90.

The park is much bigger than I expected and has a large lake, currently ringed with lily pads and bull-rushes, reminiscent of the lakes at Brazos Bend State Park. An observation tower and boardwalks make it easy to watch birds on and around the water.


The lake area was quiet this morning but I did spot a Little Blue Heron, an Anhinga, a Great Blue Heron, a Western Kingbird, a Chimney Swift (Texas year bird #215), Wood Ducks and families of Common Moorhens.

Anhinga

I followed a rather overgrown path from the parking area through the woods in the hope of accessing the far side of the lake. I never managed to reach the water but my walk turned up lots of common birds: Blue Jays, Tufted Titmice, Carolina Wrens, Northern Mockingbird, Morning Dove, Red-bellied Woodpecker.

Different species of wildflowers were drawing in Gulf Fritillary butterflies, while dragonflies were also abund
ant.




The only mammal I saw was an armadillo which, unfortunately, had come off worse in an encounter with a vehicle.


My visit was all too brief but I liked the park and so will certainly drive over there again before too long.

P.S.
This trip boosted my Ft. Bend County list to 95 by adding Wood Duck, Chimney Swift, Eastern Wood-Pewee and Western Kingbird. Perhaps a second visit later in the year will take the list to the 100 mark.

.

No comments: