Sunday, May 08, 2011

Day 2 in Guadalajara

.
At 8:00 a.m. last Sunday I was standing at the entrance to the Universidad Autonoma, feeling dismayed by large signs that said that unauthorized entry was not allowed and that no photos could be taken without a special permit. However, I decided to try my luck anyway. Carrying my camera in a Randalls tote, I said "Buenos dias" to the four armed guards and strolled past them and onto the campus.

The botanical gardens were just inside the campus gates and I spent the next hour birding and taking photos there, taking care to keep out of sight of the guards.


The gardens were busy with birds, including House Finches, Vermilion Flycatchers (below) and (below) Golden-fronted Parakeets, the latter a life bird for me.

 

I was delighted to see two more life birds: Aztec Thrush and Thick-billed Kingbird.

 

I wasn't able to get a decent photo of any of several Broad-billed Hummingbirds that were perching high in yuccas but I was luckier with a Russet-crowned Motmot.




After this, I decided to explore the rest of the campus. Like many streets in Guadalajara, the campus roads were lined with jacarandas and other wonderful trees. 

 
 

One of the trees had a Plumbeous Vireo.


I noticed that one of the buildings had a number of Cave Swallow nests and I wandered over to take some photos.

 

Unfortunately, this immediately attracted the attention of two security guards and I was politely but firmly expelled from the university grounds. I didn't really mind this but it made me change my plans for the rest of the day. I had intended to bird the premises of the Jesuit university but I now realized that I was likely to be as unwelcome there as I was at the Universidad Autonoma.

After consulting a map, I decided to walk back to Parque Los Colomos, where I had spent the previous afternoon and had seen plenty of interesting birds. Although the park was bound to be very crowded with local families, I was sure I could find some quiet sections where I could watch birds.

 

No comments: