Saturday, May 12, 2012

Still at Anahuac

.
The marshy areas of the pond were fairly quiet but we did get distant views of three Whimbrels and a couple of Wilson's Phalaropes (below).


We were hoping for Purple Gallinule and Clapper/King Rail but the only rail that we saw was a Common Gallinule (formerly "Common Moorhen").


Just after passing the visitor center on our way out of the refuge, we stopped to look at a Common Nighthawk resting on a tree branch.


Then we had to stop again to admire Dickcissels that were singing their hearts out.




Then another stop, this time to watch a couple of Scissor-tailed Flycatchers chasing each other by the roadside.




The fields along FM1985 had large numbers of Cattle Egrets.

Some flooded field also had Whimbrels (below), Ruddy Turnstones (below), Hudsonian Godwits, Black-bellied Plovers, Buff-breasted Sandpipers, Least Sandpipers and White-rumped Sandpipers.




So I had made the trip partly to add to my year's list of warblers but had instead increased it mainly with shoprebirds. Birding certainly is unpredictable!
.

3 comments:

Matthew Sim said...

Hi Jeff,
It was good to finally meet you today at Kleb Woods; I've been reading your blog for several months now! Great post, I especially love the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher in flight photo!

Matthew Sim

Jeff said...

Hi, Matthew. I'm glad you posted because I forgot to get your name when we met at Kleb. I, too, love pictures of birds in flight. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't handle focusing on moving objects very well. Do you have a blog?

Jeff said...

I found your blog, Matthew. Great stuff. Keep it up!