Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sheldon Lake

.Saturday morning I spent an hour at Sheldon Lake, hoping to add a few birds to my year's Harris County list.

The trip started well at the old parking lot on Garrett Road with a quick sighting of a Purple Gallinule. Other birds in this area were Wood Duck, Anhinga, Yellow-crowned Night Herons and lots of nesting Cattle Egrets. One of the Night Herons dropped in to the parking lot.


The first Environmental Center ponds were quiet except for more Yellow-crowned Night Herons, Little Blue Herons and this Great Egret.


A further pond had a White Ibis sharing a tree with a juvenile Little Blue Heron.


Another pond had a pair of White Ibis.


On my home home I popped in at Jesse Jones Nature Park, where I spent a fruitless half-hour looking for Swainson's Warblers. In fact, almost the whole of the hour I spent at the park was fruitless as regards birds; all I saw was a Great Egret, a Red-bellied Woodpecker and a couple of Northern Cardinals. As everywhere in our area this year, there were plenty of butterflies, though. Gulf Fritillaries were plentiful, as were Palamedes Swallowtails. 


There were lots of Giant Swallowtails also.




So my one birding trip this weekend was not productive. I'm hoping I'll do better next weekend, because we're heading down to the Lower Rio Grande Valley for a couple of days.
.

No comments: