Friday, December 21, 2012

The Katy Prairie in December

.
Last week I took my last drive of the year  onto the Katy Prairie.

A Ferruginous Hawk was still hanging out along Longenbaugh.


Red-tailed Hawks were everywhere.


Several skeins of hundreds of Snow Geese passed overhead.




Three times the road ahead was blocked by Black Vultures.
 



As usual, Crested Caracaras perched on utility poles by the roadside.



There were plenty of smaller birds, too, including Northern Mockingbirds, Eastern Meadowlarks and Red-winged Blackbirds.
 


 


At Warren Lake I was so surprised to see a flock of 60 White Pelicans that I initially didn't notice the edge of the lake was hosting hundreds of Greater White-fronted Geese.




The Geese noticed me, though, and they filled the sky over the lake as they lifted off and flew to safety.
 

 

As we're in the UK for the holidays, it'll be January before I get another chance to check out the bird situation on the prairie.  Hopefully, more winter birds will have turned up by then!
.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Happy Holidays in the UK.

Eric