Tuesday, July 02, 2013

A Different Youngster

.
Yesterday morning I went to check out the N Mockingbird nest on the CyFair campus. It was empty, so both nestlings must have fledged over the weekend.

After that, I parked by the tree that has the W Kingbird nest. The nest was still there but the young birds had disappeared. If other years are any guide, the parents will have stashed the young birds in some other tree not very far away. When I have time, I'll look to see if I can find them.

While looking at the Kingbird nest, my attention was drawn to a pair of Great-tailed Grackles. An adult female had found something tasty and a youngster was demanding that she hand it over.


The mother, of course, immediately reacted in the way that all good mothers react to their hungry young.



.

No comments: