Thursday, November 20, 2014

Horsepen Creek Park

.
The other day I spent my lunch hour in Horsepen Creek Park, the newish Precinct 3 park across Barker Cypress Road from LSC-CyFair.

As usual, the most common species was American Coot. There were several hundreds present.


Several of the Coots were preening and one seemed to be finding it difficult to get its tail feathers into exactly the right state.






However, it managed in the end.


The next most numerous species was Ruddy Duck. 




Most of the scores present were floating around asleep.


A handful of Pied-billed Grebes were nearby.


There were a couple of Ring-necked Ducks and a handful of Lesser Scaup (below).






Mixed in with the Scaups was a solitary Redhead.


A dozen or so Laughing Gulls were taking it easy, floating on the surface of the pond, while a few Great Egrets were fishing by the edges. Just as I was leaving, I noticed a small group of Least Sandpipers, identifiable by their droopy bills and their greenish-yellow legs. 


I'll have to remember keep an eye on the park over the next few months, because it is the type of site that could produce some interesting duck and grebe species. Luckily, it's so close to the college that I can easily pop in for a quick look on my way to or from work.
.

No comments: