Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Migrants - At Last!

.
The CyFair campus saw a lot of bird activity last week. Unfortunately, though, much of it was during periods of bad weather, which made photography difficult.

MONDAY
I had brief glimpses of a Swainson's Thrush.

TUESDAY
Three Western Kingbirds appeared. These should be the first of many, since several pairs nest on the campus every year.

WEDNESDAY
I saw my first Chuck-will's-widow of the year and then the first of the several Common Nighthawks that usually spend the summer on the campus. 

THURSDAY
Six species of migrants turned up on what was a dark, miserable day: an Eastern Wood-pewee, a Tennessee Warbler, a stunning male Blackburnian Warbler, a male Painted Bunting, two Baltimore Orioles and three Orchard Orioles. I could have gotten some good shots of the Orioles if one of our flocks of Cedar Waxwings hadn't kept flying in and scaring them off!


I consoled myself by taking a picture of a flock of American White Pelicans that flew over.



In anticipation of more Orioles arriving, I hung orange halves on various bushes along the nature trail boardwalk.

FRIDAY
When I checked the trail in mid-morning, Orioles had been chomping away at the oranges.



It turned out to be quite a day. 
At various times I saw up to nine Baltimore Orioles. They were very skittish, however, and I managed only a couple of photos.





I managed to get just a single photo of one of all the other birds that turned up: a Black-and-white Warbler (below), a White-eyed Vireo, a Gray Catbird, a Common Yellowthroat, a Chestnut-sided Warbler, a Golden-winged Warbler, a Yellow-breasted Chat, two Summer Tanagers, a Rose-breasted Grosbeak and seven Indigo Buntings.  


SATURDAY
As soon as the rain stopped, I found three birds skulking in the thicket off the nature trail: Gray Catbird, Swainson's Thrush and Wood Thrush. No photos. Then a Black-and-White Warbler and a Common Yellowthroat in mesquite trees outside the library. Again no photos.

I thought about going home but decided to sit for a while on one of the outdoor classroom benches. I'm glad I did. Almost immediately a Black-throated Green Warbler appeared, soon followed by a Northern Parula. Both birds stayed in the area for well over 30 minutes and so I was finally able to get some photos!

Black-throated Green Warbler



Northern Parula


.

No comments: