Tuesday, October 28, 2008

New Arrivals

Yesterday morning at the CyFair campus, I noticed several small birds behind the mobile classroom where I teach. They weren't near enough for me to recognize by sight but their "chip" call made me think they might be Yellow-rumped Warblers. So I raced over to my car, grabbed the binoculars I always carry in the trunk and hurried back to the classroom. As soon as I focused on one of the birds, it turned around and the lower section of its back flashed bright yellow: Yellow-rumped Warbler! So another of our winter residents is now back in our area.

Driving out of the campus, I noticed some black dots on the southern retention pond. As there were no other cars around, I had time to stop and do a quick sweep with the binoculars I had carelessly left on the front passenger seat. Three Pied-billed Grebes and four American Coots were sharing the water with a pair of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks and four first year ducklings.

No comments: