Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Brazos Bend: Elm Lake

.
We rounded off our trip to Brazos Bend with quick visits to some other sections of the park.

The sky over the Visitor Center had a pair of Mississippi Kites, the first I’ve seen this year. Unfortunately, they were circling too high to allow clear photos.


We parked at Elm Lake and I spent a few minutes exploring the water’s edge. The birds there were the same as at 40 Acre Lake: White Ibis, Green Heron, Tricolored Heron, Cattle Egret, Common Moorhen, etc.
.

Adult White Ibises

First Summer White Ibis

This 9' alligator was keeping a close eye on the Ibises.


There were more Purple Gallinules.
.

I noticed movement in the water under a tree and crouched down to see a family of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks. The white bird sharing the shade with them was a White Ibis.


I almost missed this alligator, which was being particularly sneaky by hiding most of its body in a concrete conduit pipe. (To be fair, I guess it might just have been trying to keep cool.)



On our way out of the park, we stopped at the Visitor Center again so I could have a quick look at Creekfield Lake.
.

Surprisingly, I’d never been to this lake on any of my many previous trips to Brazos Bend. As it seems to attract plenty of birds, I’ll certainly make a point of checking it out further during my next visit.

We made a final quick stop at the park entrance to admire the huge oak trees there.
.

No comments: