Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The First Fifty (-One)

.
At lunchtime Monday I thought my 2010 bird list reached 50 species when I spotted about 20 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks on our local retention pond.

Black-bellied Whistling Ducks

It then turned out that my list had actually reached 51 species, because on Saturday I had misindentified a White-tailed Hawk.

So not a bad start to the year, considering that I have spent only a very few hours birdwatching. However, I'm going to have to fit in some more intensive birding in the next few weeks if I want to match my 2009 total of 100 species by the end of January.

I didn't use to bother with year lists. However, I find they serve a very useful purpose for a lazy birder like me: They help motivate me to get off my butt and look for/at birds.

Speaking of lists, I'm amazed to see that two common local residents are missing from mine. I haven't yet seen a Red-bellied Woodpecker or a Carolina Wren. In previous years both species were always in the first ten birds on my list. Red-bellied would be literally daily visitors to our yards and virtually any walk along the nature trail at CyFair would produce the sight or sound of a Carolina Wren. Last year I saw a Red-bellied in our yards perhaps half-a-dozen times and I don't think I saw or heard a Carolina at all on the nature trail.

The First Fifty (-One)

1/1/10
1. Chipping Sparrows
2. American Goldfinch
3. House Finches
4. Northern Mockingbird
5. Downy Woodpecker
6. Carolina Chickadee
7. Yellow-rumped Warbler
8. Blue Jay
9. Northern Cardinal
10. Ruby-crowned Kinglet

11. American Kestrel
12. Rock Dove/Pigeon
13. Common Grackle
14. European Starling
15. White-winged Dove
16. Great-tailed Grackle

1/2/10
17. Cedar Waxwing
18. Pied-billed Grebe
19. Canvasback
20. Great Egret
21. Great Blue Heron
22. Turkey Vulture
23. Black Vulture
24. Red-tailed Hawk
25. Northern Harrier
26. Killdeer
27. Mourning Dove
28. Eastern Phoebe
29. Loggerhead Shrike
30. Eastern Bluebird
31. Savannah Sparrow
32. Field Sparrow
33. Red-winged Blackbird
34. Eastern Meadowlark
35. Horned Lark

36. Vesper Sparrow
37. White-tailed Hawk
1/3/10
38. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
39. Tufted Titmouse
40. House Sparrow
41. Lincoln’s Sparrow
42. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
43. House Wren
44. Orange-crowned Warbler
1/4/10
45. Sedge Wren
46. Snow Goose
47. Snowy Egret
48. Little Blue Heron
49. American Coot
50. Laughing Gull
51. Black-bellied Whistling Duck
.

3 comments:

Dorothy Borders said...

Ha! This is probably the only day of the year that I'm actually ahead of you! I may just have to go out and celebrate. As of today, my total stands at 56. Anahuac helped. (Actually, the total should have been better - there were some shorebirds and sparrows at Anahuac that I couldn't confidently identify.)

Jeff said...

That's a great total for such a short time. Managed to get a few more today at Bear Creek Park but I'm hoping to do my first real trip of the year on Sunday, to Attwater NWR.

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.