Thursday, January 28, 2010

Katy Prairie Again


Still no time for real birding but I drove to work via Warren Lake and Longenbaugh Road. I didn't bother taking a camera along. Perhaps I should have.

Before I even reached 290 I saw my first new year bird: #104 Spotted Sandpiper. To be honest, I was surprised not to have seen this particular bird earlier in the year. It hangs out by the same small pond at Cole's Crossing every winter but this year it seemed to disappear in late December.

There were nine Red-tailed Hawks and lots of American Kestrels by the roadside.

Warren Lake had a Northern Harrier and a pair of Bald Eagles (2010 species #105).

The college again had lots of Ring-necked Ducks, Lesser Scaup, White-winged Doves, Eastern Meadowlarks, Savannah Sparrows and Yellow-rumped Warblers. More exciting, though, was a Gray Catbird (2010 bird #106).

No comments: