Saturday, October 30, 2010

Busy at Bear Creek

.
I managed to get in a little birding at Bear Creek Park. I just stopped briefly at Restroom 8 on Golbow Road and stayed around for 30 minutes because the trees around the restroom were absolutely hopping with birds.

What first caught my eye (and ears) were a pair of American Crows.



A group of half-a-dozen Brown-headed Cowbirds flew in, soon to be chased away by a Blue Jay.



A couple of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-rumped Warblers were lost among a sea of Pine Warblers. The latter were everywhere - in the trees, on the grass, under the concrete picnic tables. I've never before seen so many at one time.








Eastern Bluebirds were numerous, too, breakfasting on dragonflies and other bugs. 


A Red-headed Woodpecker, Downy Woodpeckers and Red-bellied Woodpeckers competed to see who could make the most noise, while Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers climbed quietly up and down the trees.

Northern Cardinals flew in to see what was happening but didn't stay long. Several Carolina Chickadees also arrived but they hung around.


A Carolina Wren popped up for a moment. 


I almost missed a Mourning Dove and an Eastern Phoebe because they were perched silent and still among all the activity.


Turkey and Black Vultures did fly-bys.


Finally, just as I was about to drive away, I had to jump out of the car to watch an Osprey pass overhead.


P.S.
Sorry about the photos! The image stabilizer on my Sony has definitely stopped working. So I'll have to go back to using my Canon S3, a much tougher and more reliable little camera.
.

No comments: