Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Around Cypress

.
Yesterday dawned dry and clear for a change. As if to celebrate the return of good weather, a Bald Eagle flew over as I was on my way to work. That was species #122 on my year list.

At the college, the nature trail area was too muddy to allow me to get close to most of the birds that were around. A flock of Cedar Waxwings stayed out of camera distance, as did the Pine Warblers which have been appearing in good numbers for the past few days. Only one of the many Yellow-rumped Warblers came close enough for a photo, showing the yellow that decorates both its rump and the breast just below the wings.


At home our yards continued to be very busy as dozens of American Goldfinch shared the feeders and the birdbath with Blue Jays, Carolina Chickadees, Northern Cardinals, Hoiuse Finches, House Sparrows, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Orange-crowned Warbler, Pine Warbler, Downy Woodpeckers and Red-bellied Woodpecker. Dee spotted a Tufted Titmouse, a bird we very rarely see at home. I missed out on the Titmouse but I did see a Chipping Sparrow appear only to be chased away by the Yellow-rumped Warbler that has been trying to dominate our front yard. We have had many fewer visits by Chipping Sparrows this winter but perhaps this is because the Yellow-rumped has been keeping them away.

I keep watching the Goldfinches in hopes of seeing a Pine Siskin mixed in with them and one has been turning up occasionally.


BTW, I've been waiting for weeks for stores to restock the lens I wanted to replace my barely functioning zoom. Then at the end of last week I gave up and ordered a similar but probably inferior lens. It arrived yesterday and I'll try to give it a field test later today. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Slapshot said...

We have a few dozen blue breasted little ones zooming around. They look like finches, but are they?

Jeff said...

Hi, Slapshot.
If they're blue, they're not finches. Depending on where you are, I'd think they're probably Indigo Buntings, which arrive in our area around now. If you google "indigo bunting," you should be able to ID your birds.