Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Week at CyFair

.
I only managed a couple of short walks along the nature trail this week.

The Cedar Waxwings and American Robins that were present in large numbers seemed to have disappeared by week's end, leaving the larger trees to our resident Northern Mockingbirds and White-winged Doves.

 

Yellow-rumped Warblers and Ruby-crowned Kinglets were still present but they had been joined by lots of Pine Warblers.



We used to get large flocks of Savannah Sparrows, with the occasional Field Sparrow tagging along. However, since the soccer fields were turned into parking lots, I have seen only a few Savannahs and no Field Sparrows.

 Savannah Sparrow

So I was delighted on Thursday to run across a flock of half-a-dozen Field Sparrows.


Thursday also produced a flyover by a Crested Caracara, always a beautiful sight.


Behind the college, the same day was notable for the presence of a huge flock of Red-winged Blackbirds.


When I looked more closely, I realized that the flock included a large number of Brown-headed Cowbirds.


Nearby, dozens of Mourning Doves were clustered in the trees and on the utility lines.


Now that another cold front is pushing through our area, I'm hoping that we'll get an influx of new visitors when I get back to the campus on Monday.
.


No comments: