Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Around the Campus

.
Unfortunately, I haven't had much time for birding on the CyFair campus lately. However, I have noticed that we seem to have scores (hundreds?) of American Robins flying about and making an impressive amount of noise.

Spring must be coming because male Northern Mockingbirds are singing and doing their displays on top of the lights in the parking area. One of them that I saw this morning way leaping a good 10 feet up from its perch before fluttering back down.

Most of the ducks have left the retention ponds but the latter are still hosting a few Ring-necked Ducks.

The ponds normally have one Great Egret and one Snowy Egret. However, on my drive past the ponds in the mornings I notice that now there are often several Great and a dozen or more Snowy Egrets lined up at the water's edge.


P.S.
One of my colleague tells me that we've had our first Purple Martin of the year. No doubt more will be arriving soon.

We haven't seen any of our Western Kingbirds yet. We're hoping that at least a couple of pairs will return and nest on the campus, as they have done for the past several years. If things go true to form, one pair will gain nest in the roof of the basketball court.
.

No comments: