Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Some People Are Remarkably Kind!

.
Mr. and Mrs. Williams are well known to Houston birders, because they have a beautiful yard that regularly attracts lots of hummingbirds.  Recently, the yard has been busy with several Rufous Hummingbirds, as well as an Anna's (unusual for our area) and an Allen's (very unusual for our area). As a result, it has been visited by a stream of local birders.

Yesterday afternoon I called the Williams' house to ask if I could go to see their birds. Mrs. Williams answered and couldn't have been more gracious. She explained that she was busy preparing to cover their plants before the predicted cold spell hit. I told her that I was nearby and could drive over straight away if that was all right with her. She said that would be fine.

Fifteen minutes later I was at the house, where I was welcomed by Mrs. Williams, even though she and her daughter were rushing to prepare covers for their plants. 

I spent perhaps 45 minutes in the yard and, with some help, managed to see a male Rufous and to watch and photograph the Anna's.

 
 

I was surprised to find that the yard was busy with butterflies, too. There were lots of Monarchs and even a Giant Swallowtail.


When I left, Mrs. Williams told me that I should feel free to come back at any time after the expected freeze.

Texans are generally very friendly but, even so, I surprised by just how friendly and hospitable Mrs. Williams was to me, a total stranger. Some people really are remarkably kind!
.

2 comments:

Pam said...

That sounds lovely Jeff, fantastic photos too, beautiful little birds. It's a shame there aren't more people like that around.

Jeff said...

Hi, Pam. I used to be able to get better photos in California because we had dozens of hummers there and I could usually stand or sit just 3-4 feet away when they were at the feeders.