Saturday, August 20, 2011

CyFair

.
Over the past week or so I have been reading reports about the presence of migrant warblers and flycatchers in different areas around Houston. Unfortunately, I've been too swamped with work to visit the places mentioned in the reports. (I hate it when my college work intrudes on bird migration!) However, on Thursday morning I did manage to fit in a quick walk along the nature trail on the CyFair campus.

On my way to the trail, I passed by several Northern Mockingbirds and was overflown by a Black-bellied Whistling Duck.


At the trail entrance I was pleased to see that sunflowers were attracting both wasps and bees.


The trail itself was very quiet, except for a few Northern Cardinals and Mourning Doves and a several rabbits. 


The only sign of migration was a couple of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers working through the trees.


Walking back to my office, I spotted this Great-tailed Grackle hurrying away with a prize catch.

.

No comments: