Saturday, December 03, 2011

Sparrows and More

.I looked in at Cypress Creek again on my way to work yesterday and was rewarded with more great views of a range of sparrows: Fox, Song, White-crowned, White-throated, Harris's and Chipping - plus some House Sparrows.



My main aim was to get a good photo of a White-throated Sparrow. They are very skittish and tend to stay in or quickly run to the shadows. This is a problem because my camera lens doesn't handle low light well. I decided I would try using flash, even though this often makes bird photos look very artificial, almost like paintings. Here are some of the results.






After a few minutes at Cypress Creek I swung by the Bear Creek bridge on Longenbaugh, hoping for the Lark Bunting that everyone else has seen there. Within minutes I had seen 8 species of sparrows but no Bunting. Then three Field Sparrows posed in a tree right next to a singing White-crowned Sparrow. I took a picture of one of the Field Sparrows.


Another bird landed a little higher in the tree. Lark Bunting.


This is a great time to be living and working near the Katy Prairie!
.

No comments: