Monday, November 19, 2012

Yesterday in Our Yards

.
It's been a while since I was able to spend a whole day at home but that's what I was able to do yesterday. I started the day by putting out a new seed feeder and then replenishing the sugar water in our four hummingbird feeders. I also spread some seeds along the fence - just in case!

I knew it was going to be a good day when I went out to bring in the newspaper and saw six Red-breasted Nuthatches in our oak tree. So I spent most of the rest of the day on our back deck, watching a succession of these beautiful little birds visiting our feeders.










Our normal residents were scarce except for a Northern Mockingbird and a White-winged Dove (below).


However, all the Nuthatch action attracted the attention of ten House Sparrows and an Orange-crowned Warbler (below).


Then our Carolina Chickadees came to see what was happening.


One of the Chickadees was joined on the feeders by a Chipping Sparrow, our first of the season.



Another Chipping spent ages feeding on the seed I'd scattered along the top of the fence.




Others
The Chipping Sparrows weren't the only new birds to turn up yesterday. In our front yard we had an Eastern Phoebe and in the back yard two hummingbirds. One of the hummers was a male Rufous; the other I didn't get a good look at.
.

1 comment:

Dina said...

Lot of great birds there. I love the nuthatch with the tongue action.