Thursday, April 11, 2013

A New Site

.
A couple of weeks ago I realized that I hadn't yet seen any Bald Eagles this year. Other birders had reported seeing them in several different places in and around Houston but I had somehow missed them on birding trips I had done in the area.

Then I noticed that someone had reported online seeing a pair of Bald Eagles at a retention pond in Cypress. I checked the map reference and found that the pond was only a mile or so away from our house. So last weekend I headed over there. 

The pond turned out to be much larger than I expected and, sure enough, there were two Bald Eagles perched in nearby trees.


As the light wasn't very good, I went back to the site the next day and managed to get better photos.




Since the eagles have built a nest in one of the treetops, it shouldn't be long before I get the chance to see the birds raising their young.

BTW, the eagles weren't the only birds at the pond. The other birds there included a Red-shouldered Hawk, a Red-tailed Hawk, a Great Egret, a Great Blue Heron, a Little Blue Heron, Double-crested Cormorants, Red-winged Blackbirds, Barn Swallows and Greater Yellowlegs.  

A score or more American Coots were paddling about.


Several Pied-billed Grebes were also feeding on vegetation in the pond.


I'm really happy to have found a site that attracts water- and wading birds so near our house and I'm sure I'll be visiting it often in the future.
.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Jeff,
Can you share the online resources you used that had this info? Thanks!