Saturday, December 21, 2013

Katy Sparrows

.
Earlier in the week I took a brief trip out to the Katy Prairie, hoping that a variety of sparrows had moved into the area with the latest cold front.

Sharp Road was surprisingly empty of birds, except for a few Savannah Sparrows. 


So I headed over the Longenbaugh Road, usually a prime site for winter birds. On the way I checked out the grass around the parking lots in Paul Rushing Park but found only a handful of Killdeer.


The bridge over Bear Creek was quiet when I arrived but it wasn't long before a couple of American Robins turned up.


A Loggerhead Shrike watched from on a utility wire.


After a couple of minutes the first sparrow appeared: A White-crowned perched on a small tree and sang.


This seemed to wake up the other sparrows. 

A small group of Chipping Sparrows flew in.


A Vesper Sparrow popped up on a fence wire across the road.


A couple of White-throated Sparrows put in a very brief appearance.


Then, just as I was getting ready to leave, the bird I had most wanted to see finally flew in: a Harris's Sparrow.


So my quick trip didn't turn up any spectacular birds but at least I had gotten to see a few sparrows. Besides, any day I get to see a Harris's Sparrow I count as a good day.
.      

No comments: