Monday, October 27, 2014

Raptors

.
Saturday morning I went over to the Longwood retention pond on Hufmeister Road to see if Blad Eagles were around. A pair has nested there every year for several years now. The birds seem to disappear for a while in mid-summer, after raising their chicks.

Sure enough, one of the Bald Eagles was hanging out on the far side of the pond.


Nearby was what I took at first to be its partner but turned out to be an Osprey.


While I was watching,  the Osprey flew off, immediately followed by the Eagle. I expect the latter was hoping to steal any fish that the Osprey caught. 

On the way back to my car, I ran into a male American Kestrel that was perched on a fence. What beautiful birds they are!




Since I didn't have binoculars with me, I had to get quite close to the Kestrel before could see whether the bird was watching me or was looking in the other direction. This is because, as you can see from the photo below, the back of a Kestrel's head has two black spots that resemble eyes. 


.

No comments: