Tuesday, March 15, 2016

More Owls

.
In a typical year, I don't get to see many owls. So after seeing the Burrowing Owl at Anahuac NWR, I wasn't expecting to see any more owls for a while. However, a few days ago I noticed that someone had spotted Great Horned Owls very near CyFair College and I decided to go and look for them.

It didn't take me long to see that there was a large nest in the area where the owls had been reported.

As I approached the nest, I was delighted to see that it was occupied by an adult Great Horned Owl and a juvenile.


A couple of days later I went back to check on the nest and I was surprised to see that there were actually two young birds in it.


I scanned the branches around the nest but couldn't see any sign of the parent.

Then as I turned to leave, I realized that the adult owl was perched just a few yards away and was obviously watching me. 


I hope to get back to the nest later this week to see how the two owlets are developing. 
.

1 comment:

Marilyn Kircus said...

Love those cotton-topped babies. We had a pair of owls at Malheur NWR, who bred in the abandoned fire tower and the fledglings hung out in the Visitor Center grounds.