Monday, July 19, 2010

Quiet Weekend

.
I didn't have time for any birding trips over the weekend but I did take short walks in two local parks.

On Saturday, I spent half an hour at the Little Cypress Creek Preserve (at the junction of Telge and Spring Cypre
ss roads). Although I heard and saw virtually no birds, dragonflies were plentiful.




On Sunday, we walked around Paul Rushing Chain-of-Lakes Park on the Katy Prairie. There were quite a few birds there, including Killdeer, Black-necked Stilts, Eurasian Collared Doves, Eastern Meadowlarks and Red-winged Blackbirds. As usual, the la
kes had a handful of Great Egrets, a Snowy Egret and a Little Blue Heron, plus an adult Pied-billed Grebe with three baby grebes.

As we were leaving, we came across two adult Common Nighthawks sitting on a fence. Sitting nearby was a much smaller Nighthawk.


At first I thought the smaller bird had to be a Lesser Nighthawk. However, from the way the two adults flew around and shepherded it away from us, I assume the smaller bird was actually a juvenile.
.

No comments: