Sunday, October 30, 2011

It has been busy, busy, busy.

.
Unfortunately, I don't mean I've been seeing a lot of bird activity recently. I mean that I've been busy at work. Too busy to do much in the way of birding and too busy to update this blog as regularly as usual. However, things at work will be calming down now and so I should be able to get out and about to see what the birds are up to.

At the college, I've seen a few signs of fall over the past two or three weeks. The nature trail has welcomed House Wrens, Lincoln's Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet.


Yellow-rumped Warbler

I've also seen a couple of Pine Warblers but unfortunately both of them were dead birds, killed by flying into windows.

We always have Killdeer on the campus but they seem to be more numerous than usual at present.


At home the only new birds I've seen have been an Orange-crowned Warbler and, just yesterday, a Yellow-rumped Warbler.  However, we have seen plenty of our year-round residents: House Finches, Northern Mockingbirds, White-winged Doves, and Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Our Carolina Wrens and their one surviving youngster have been very visible, too.
   

As usual, though, at home and at work by far the most common bird has been the Northern Mockingbird. Three regularly visit the suet feeder right outside our livingroom window and at the college I rarely see fewer than a dozen on any 5-minute walk.
.    

No comments: