Thursday, October 18, 2012

Bear Creek Park (2)

.
After meeting up with Jim, we spent a while looking - without success - for the Greater Pewee. We turned up several other species along the way: Pileated and Downy Woodpeckers, Tufted Titmice, House Finches, Carolina Chickadees, Brown-headed Cowbirds, more Eastern Bluebirds and a couple of Pine Warblers (below). 


In light rain we headed over to Golbow to search for Red-breasted Nuthatches, which we quickly found but which were not within camera range.

I then decided to do a final drive around the Sullins Way loop before leaving. I stopped to watch some American Crows clowning about on the grass.




I also stopped to photograph some of the many vultures that were hanging out in trees all around the loop. Some of these were Black Vultures, their gray faces blending in with the black of their plumage.




Most, however, were Turkey Vultures, with the red faces and white beaks standing out clearly against the gray sky.




Turkey Vultures may not be among the most beautiful of birds. But when they spread their wings, they are certainly very impressive.




I was to have one more interesting encounter before I left the park, but I'll leave the details and photos of that for my next blog posting.
.

No comments: