Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Denver Trip (3): Cherry Creek State Park

.
My final stop in Colorado was Cherry Creek State Park in Denver.

I didn't have time to explore any of the stands of trees but contented myself with a walk partway around the large lake.

Ring-billed Gulls were busy - and noisy - overhead.


There were Canada Geese on the opposite side of the water but on my side the only geese or ducks were a few Mallards.


Several Double-crested Cormorants were fishing for their supper.




I finally got to take a couple of photos of some Black-billed Magpies, a species that I had seen at every site I had visited in Colorado.




As I was driving out of the park, I came across a pretty little wetland area. A couple of Vesper Sparrows were in the reeds and a Northern Pintail (that I originally thought was a Blue-winged Teal!) flew off at my approach.


Overall, my visit to Colorado was very disappointing in terms of the number and variety of birds I had seen. However, the landscape was beautiful and I saw quite a few mammals, so the trip wasn't a total write-off!
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your flying Blue-winged Teal is a nice Northern Pintail!! Enjoy the blog, good birding.