Monday, August 27, 2012

Little Cypress Creek

.
Yesterday morning I made time to take a short walk through the Little Cypress Creek Preserve, which is only a few hundred yards from where we live.

As everywhere in our area at present, the vegetation was luxuriant.


The main pond had a Great Egret. Unfortunately, the latter flew off as soon as I approached.


The same thing happened with a Great Blue Heron that had been perching on top of a dead tree.


The air was full with the sound of Blue Jays, Northern Mockingbirds and Northern Cardinals, and I caught occasional fleeting glimpses of Tufted Titmice and Red-headed Woodpeckers as the moved from tree to tree.

I was hoping to see some migrating warblers but the only non-resident birds I saw were three Blue-gray Gnatcatchers.


No birding walk in our area would be complete without a sighting of vultures and, sure enough, three Turkey Vultures turned up just as I was leaving.


.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Will do, James. Thank you for the tip.