Monday, August 27, 2012

Little Cypress Creek

.
Yesterday morning I made time to take a short walk through the Little Cypress Creek Preserve, which is only a few hundred yards from where we live.

As everywhere in our area at present, the vegetation was luxuriant.


The main pond had a Great Egret. Unfortunately, the latter flew off as soon as I approached.


The same thing happened with a Great Blue Heron that had been perching on top of a dead tree.


The air was full with the sound of Blue Jays, Northern Mockingbirds and Northern Cardinals, and I caught occasional fleeting glimpses of Tufted Titmice and Red-headed Woodpeckers as the moved from tree to tree.

I was hoping to see some migrating warblers but the only non-resident birds I saw were three Blue-gray Gnatcatchers.


No birding walk in our area would be complete without a sighting of vultures and, sure enough, three Turkey Vultures turned up just as I was leaving.


.

2 comments:

James said...

Hi – Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Birding Community? Our members will love it.
It's easy just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website… it’s a win win. You can also add Photos and Videos and join Birding discussions if you like.
Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
The Birding Community: http://www.vorts.com/birding/
Thanks,
James Kaufman, Editor

Jeff said...

Will do, James. Thank you for the tip.