Sunday, August 19, 2012

Longenbaugh

.
One of my favorite birding spots is the mile stretch of Longenbaugh Road east of the Katy Hockley Cutoff Road. In winter this is a great place for finding interesting birds, such as Pyrrhuloxias, Lark Buntings and Harris's Sparrows. The road is much much quieter in summer but there is still almost always something worth looking at.

On Saturday there were several Scissor-tailed Flycatchers.


There were also two Crested Caracaras, a bird that I never tire of watching and photographing.





Here as at Paul Rushing Park, large dragonflies were plentiful.


Driving home from Longenbaugh, I noticed another Common Nighthawk. This one was taking a rest on the traffic signal wires over Barker Cypress Road. It certainly isn't somewhere that I'd choose for a mid-morning a nap, but then I'm not a Nighthawk.

.

No comments: