Sunday, September 11, 2011

Glacier National Park, Montana

.As soon as I drove into Glacier NP, it was clear that I was going to see some wonderful scenery.




I spent an hour or two checking out a couple of possible birding sites but spotted only a Red-breasted Nuthatch and a Common Raven.


Most of the rest of my time was spent driving up the Road to the Sun, stopping off at pull-offs along the way to admire the incredible views.





At one point I had to slow down to allow a deer to cross ahead of me.


At another I had to stop to take photos of a Mountain Goat at the side of the road.



The visitor center at the top of the road was packed with people, many of them watching a couple of small herds of Bighorn Sheep on the mountainsides.



There were smaller animals, too.


In every direction the scenery was spectacular.


After six hours in the park, I headed back down towards the entrance and to Kalispell, where I had booked a motel room for the night. Glacier NP hadn't produced the birds - or bears - that I had hoped for but  it had certainly been well worth a visit.


And I still had one day left in which to explore some nearby birding sites on the way back to Missoula.
.

No comments: