Friday, September 30, 2011

Wherever You Go

.One of the great things about living in southeast Texas is that you don't have to go birding to see birds. You can see them in your yard, on your commute, at your work, in the mall parking lot - just about anywhere, in fact.

I was reminded of this the other day when I had to take my wife to a local medical center. While she was with the doctor, I took a walk around an ornamental pond behind the medical building. As I expected, many of the birds at the pond were exotic ducks. However, there were also some other birds.

First up was a Eurasian Collared Dove.


Nearby a Snowy Egret was fishing.


A male Great-tailed Grackle was showing off.


And a female Grackle was looking interested.


A family of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks crossed the path ahead of me on their way to the water.



Several other families of Whistling Ducks were already enjoying the pond.



An hour later, on my drive to work, I had a good look at a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher enjoying its lunch.


.

No comments: