Saturday, September 24, 2011

Good Friday

.Friday was a good day at CyFair.

The mesquite trees betwen the Library and the Technology Building had a Wilson's Warbler.




However, this time they also had a Common Yellowthroat, a bird that I've never managed to get a good photo of.


A Great-tailed Grackle was bathing in the artificial river.


He did not look pleased to see me.


The nature trail was quiet for migrants, except for a male American Redstart and an Eastern Wood-Pewee (below).


However, I did get a brief glimpse of an Inca Dove, a bird that I don't think I've ever seen before at the college.


Near the start of the trail, I was surprised to see what looked like a 9" or 10" black worm thrashing about in the undergrowth. When I got closer, I realized it was a very large  and very agitated cottonmouth.


It's easy to see how this snake gets its name.


I don't know what had made the snake so upset. It can't have been me, because its tail was thrashing about when I was still yards away. Also, even with me standing very close by, the snake soon calmed down and closed its mouth.


So, a Common Yellowthroat and a Cottonmouth. That certainly made Friday a good day.
.

No comments: